Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tuesday Rambling

So, today I thought I would just ramble on since that is what I've been doing anyway.

It is the most beautiful spring-like day here. The birds are singing, the sun is shining, it is in the upper 70's, even in the house, but I refuse to turn the air conditioner on in February.

So, this morning while we were having breakfast, I was trying to decide if we should go to the playground before or after lunch when I looked up and my daughter (who I shall start calling "Sissy") pushed her chair backwards. It fell with her in the booster seat and scared the daylights out of both of us. I calmed her down, and didn't feel any knots or see any bruises that would show that she hit her head. I think the chair took the impact.

Since I am a nurse and spent nearly 10 years of my career in the Emergency Department, I am a complete idiot at home with my children. So, I called our doctor who is off on Tuesdays and whose office is about an hour away from our house. The nurse told me that another doctor in the office would be glad to see us there or that we could go to the Emergency Room. Neither option sounded very appealing. As I was talking to her, I noticed that Sissy was perking up and playing appropriately. Her pupils were normal, she was walking, climbing on the furniture and "talking" normally and so, instead of following the professional nurse's instructions, I called my friend who still works in the ER and told her all about it. While telling her all about it, I decided that I would watch her VERY closely for today. She is now eating, drinking, playing and acting completely normal.

Needless to say, though, the playground is out. I can only have one heart attack per day.


Our TV is broken. It has been broken since Friday. They came to fix it yesterday, but took a part out and kept it. They are going to deliver it tomorrow morning. Now, I don't know about all of you who may not have TV's or don't watch TV, but it has been a very interesting few days. We have had to be much more creative with finding things to do. I think I like it. I also think I'll be glad to get it back.

This weather we are having makes me want to plant flowers and stuff. I don't really know why, I don't really know anything about plants. I just want a pretty back yard, ala "Better Homes and Gardens".

Also, I want to remodel our kitchen/dining area. It has some very dated wallpaper. Bubba, (my son) looked at the green and off-white vertical striped wall the other day at lunch and said, "Look Mom, the wall is moving!" I said, "No, it just seems like it is because of the wall paper." He closed his eyes tight, shook his head and looked again. "See, I toll-ja. It's moving! Look!" Ever since then, it has gone to the top of the "To Do" list. Since I have no idea where to start, that is where it sits. At the top of the list, tied for first with "Plant flowers and bushes".

So, now it's time to say goodbye.... Y'all come back, now, ya hear?

1 comment:

Katherine@Raising Five said...

I'm an old ICU nurse. My friends call me all the time with the "you're a nurse" line asking for advice. I say, "Are they breathing? Do they have a pulse? They're fine."

And BTW yes, it is nice to send an email if you link to someone's blog post (so then they can comment on your post, too - another blogging nicety). If you add them to your blog roll it is nice too, but I would bet most people don't do it.