Sunday, July 15, 2007

Act Like It

Today I was riding in the car and for some reason, my son decided to turn on his whiny voice and cry and fuss. So, in my most unprofessional mommy thing to do, I said to my 2 year old daughter, "Do you hear the baby crying?"

This, of course, sent him off the edge and he protested, "I'M NOT A BABY! I'M FOUR YEARS OLD!"

I said to him, "Well, you wouldn't know it by the way you're acting! If you're such a BIG BOY, you should ACT LIKE IT!"

Things got quiet in the car after that, but during the quiet time, it reminded me that there is an example of the same thing in adult life. For example, if you have ever, or do proclaim to be a Christian you should act like it. And I don't just mean superficially running around singing "Praise the Lord" with a fake smile. I mean really. I mean a real live imperfect human being who is saved only by the grace of God and not by anything he or she ever has ever or could ever do for him or herself. I mean a person who knows that being a Christian is not walking down the aisle during the chorus of "Just As I Am" and getting baptized, but an ongoing relationship with God Almighty and striving daily to enhance his/her personal relationship with His perfect human son Jesus Christ. And I mean someone who knows why it is important to do that. Someone who knows what an awesome responsiblity and privilege it is to be a Christian; to build a Christian home, and that they need the support and fellowship of other Christians to do that.

It occurred to me that just like my son backslides into acting like a baby, Christians backslide into unchristian-like behavior. Sometimes we just need to be reminded to act like what we say we are. Are you a Christian? Are YOU acting like it?

1 comment:

Leslie @ Joy n Pain said...

I like your blog! And I can certainly relate to this post!