Thursday, April 19, 2007

Peace on Earth - In Color


Introducing my brand new niece. Isn't she beautiful?



I am always amazed by babies. For 9 months, you plan, anticipate, imagine, wonder, hope, and anxiously await this bundle of joy. And then, the big day comes. You get to see this brand new person, face to face. 10 fingers and 10 toes. Beautiful. Wondrous. Simply amazing.

I saw my sister-in-law and brother-in-law just before they went to the hospital. They were just two people. Little do they know what they are in for.

In my case, I went into labor at home 4 days before my due date. I was having some contractions when I woke up and when they were still coming after I got up and had a shower, I knew that it was the day. Instead of my husband doing what he had planned for the day and me going to my doctor's appointment by myself, I told him that I thought he should drive me. I finished packing and we left a little earlier than we would have for my appointment.

My husband thought we weren't in a hurry or anything, so he drove all over creation on the way. When the doctor said that I could go home and wait for the contractions to get a little closer, I said, "NO WAY!" It took forever for us to get there and I wasn't about to go through that again. So he sent us on our way to the hospital.

After getting settled in the room, my husband said that he was going to get something to eat. While he was gone, the nurse walked out of the room and my water broke. I couldn't find the call bell. I could not believe the amount of water that was all over the bed. All over my bed!

When the doctor put my epidural in, I was in mid-contraction, and I know I was a bit twisted, regardless of trying to stay straight. All of the medicine went down one leg and not as much the other. I dialated from 5cm to 10cm in 6 minutes. I got a little nauseated.

By this time, I was calling my husband on his cell phone. "Where are you?", I asked as if I was sitting around watching TV. You are not going to believe this, but he didn't go to the hospital cafeteria. He didn't go to a nearby restaurant. No, he went across town to eat sushi, of all things.

When he finally got back, I decided that I wouldn't kill him. Especially since I only had one partially good leg anyway and I thought he might be good to keep around for a little help taking the baby home.

I started pushing and 2 hours later, they handed me my son. Any memories of being completely miserable while pregnant or in labor completely vanished in that perfect little baby's face. I was in love instantly. It was a truly amazing, life transforming day.

The next day, I was a crying mess. All alone with my baby in my hospital room, I cried and thanked God for this incredible miracle. But that moment was cut short by the anesthesiologist who botched my epidural coming back and asking if I was doing alright and if I had any back pain. When she left, there was a constant parade of people from the hospital coming in and out. So many things to do. Birth certificate. Photos. Lactation consultant. Nurse. Sitz bath and that glorious light. Visitors. Family.

On the way home 48 hours later, I sobbed "We're a fahahammmiiillllyyyy!" My husband thought I had gone off the deep end. I wasn't sad. I was as happy as I have ever been in my entire life. And I couldn't stop crying. In fact, my emotions are still not back like they were before I had him.

It has been almost 4 years since that day. I have a whole other story for my baby girl. It's been almost 2 years since that day. My memories and day to day activities are priceless. I wouldn't trade any of it for anything in the whole world even on those days when I think I can't answer another question, or wipe another runny nose, or discipline ever again. I know I'm not alone in my feelings about that. That is one of the best thing about reading mommy blogs, and having friends to compare notes with. We all have some of the same frustrations and joys and challenges.

Sometimes, I think about Mary raising Jesus. Did He ask her 101 questions every 5 minutes when he was 3? Did she realize what an amazing responsibility and privilege she had been given? What about us? Do we realize what an amazing responsibility and privilege we have been given?

I can't wait to hear from my sister-in-law as her baby gets older. I know that she is going to be a great mom. She certainly has a beautiful baby. And she has so much to look forward to and enjoy.

1 comment:

Amelia Antwiler said...

I love it!!

I gave myself a chuckle..thinking of Jesus as a 3 year old. Do you suppose he never asked "Why?" - but instead would say "I KNOW why..." *LOL*

Beautiful baby. Check out my kid post for the day. I told the Professor - that maybe we should have stopped at 1 - but I knew in my heart I was making it up. I'm like you, I wouldn't trade it for the world. Even the snotty noses -- and the cat boxes...

It's fun.