Friday, August 15, 2008

Still more on my challenges

Time alone with God.

You know, this is really a topic.

I love God. I love Jesus. I believe that the instant I die, I will be present with the Lord. I watch some christian shows on TV, one of which is Wednesdays with Beth on Life Today. Have you ever seen her on this show? Have you ever seen Beth Moore in anything? She always seems to be SO EXCITED to "get a word from the Lord". Sometimes she says, "Is there anything you would rather be doing besides getting a word from the Lord?" and, "Oooh! I'm so fired up right now, I just can't wait to read you this passage from the Bible."

You know, I'm not sure I have ever been that excited about reading the Bible or "getting a word from the Lord".

Is that a character flaw? Is that something I should be worried about? Am I not spiritual enough? Do I not love God as much as I should? What does that mean?

I have heard people say that when you fall in love with a person that you want to be with that person all the time so that you know everything about them. The point being that because we are supposed to be so in love with the Lord that all we should want to do is be in His word or in prayer all of the time.

I don't feel like that. I feel bad that I don't feel like that. But I don't. What does that do for my testimony?

Don't get me wrong, though. I love doing my Bible Study lessons and I love going to Sunday School and church and learning more about the Bible and how it applies to our current lives. I love all of that, but when it comes down to getting up an hour earlier than everyone in my house every. single. day. to have quiet time, I just don't feel it. It's just not something I feel so compelled and excited about. Now, I know, I could fit the quiet time in some other time of the day and I may do that, especially when I am doing a Bible study, but sometimes I don't.

So, I have prayed to get a longing and a hunger for spending time with the Lord. I guess now, the challenge is actually sitting down and doing it.

No comments: