Thursday, August 14, 2008

More challenges

So, yesterday, we covered cleaning/organizing.

Today, I thought we would talk about cooking. This one, I think I can get a handle on if I try, but there is the key word: try. The reason for my reluctance to try is that I think that cooking is a terrible job and I hate it. Eating, I love, but cooking is for the birds.

We go out to eat several times a week. This is not good on the budget and is probably not as healthful as eating home cooked food at home.

So, I have identified the problem. I don't like to cook, but eating out is expensive.

Here is the solution as I see it:

1. I need a meal plan.
2. I need a grocery list for my meal plan.
3. I need to discipline myself to actually cook what is on my meal plan so that the food is ready at the desired meal time.
4. I should get started on this right now.

This leads my to my next challenge which is couponing. I really like to get the receipt for my groceries and look at the bottom where it says "You saved $xx.xx today". I love for that number to be really high. What ends up happening, though is that I only buy what is on sale or what I have a coupon for and not so much of what I need. Then I wind up with the pantry filled with strange things that don't go together to make a meal. If I buy only from a list, I end up spending nearly $15,000/year on food, which I blogged about in the beginning of my blog. (I don't know how to link to that specific post, or I would do it here.)

Also, snacks and meals other than dinner? I'm not such a good planner of those either.

So, I'm going to get started on my meal plan for next week RIGHT NOW.

1 comment:

Amelia Antwiler said...

Go for it!!
And if you want - there's a blog thing going around called "Menu Plan Monday" that you could look at other's menus...but I'm not sure where it starts or ends. I've just seen it here and there.

I'm terrible at planning - I don't mind cooking - I just mind the picky eaters that I live with. about half of them. *LOL*