Thursday, May 24, 2007

Book Review: How to Lead Your Child to Christ

I finally finished this book. It really is unbelievable how long it took me to read this, but I guess having a 2 and 3 year old is a little time consuming.

The book is How to Lead Your Child to Christ Robert & Bobbie Wolgemuth and I purchased it from Focus on the Family. It comes with a CD that has some favorite Hymns and the book is written with these songs as a basis for the chapters. It is really well written and has sections for parents to read and sections for parents to read to your child.

I have very young children, but I have been taking them to church and teach Bible verses from the time they could talk. For example, I taught my son "Children, obey your parents in all things, for this is well pleasing to the LORD." When he is disobedient, I have him tell me the verse and explain that I didn't make that rule up, God did. Another good verse is "Do all things without complaining and disputing." When he learned that verse, he could barely say "disputing", but the point was that when he cried about having to pick up his toys, this was another rule that God made up. Not Mommy. (Some of the verses I taught him are even reminders for me when it is time to do the laundry or clean up the kitchen.)

This book has lots of ideas for parents of older (than my) children and a few even for toddlers and pre-schoolers. I think that it will be a valuable resource for my children as they grow older.

I think one point worth remembering (that you don't have to read the book for) is that the best way to lead your child to Christ is to follow Him yourself and be the example for your children. Consistently praying for and with your children and having daily talks about God and Jesus and telling and reading Bible stories together are a good habit to start early.

I'm just wondering, what other ways do you incorporate in your family to help your children find the path to Christ?

No comments: